Monday, September 29, 2014

The First Part Last






Pre-reading:



How do you think your life would change as a teenager if you suddenly had the responsibility of an infant? Make a schedule of your life as it is now (look at your day planner) and then make a new one based on a life with baby.



Knowledge:



1. Describe how Bobby and Nia’s parents react to the news of her pregnancy. How would yours?
2. Find a quote that most reveals who Bobby is as a person. Explain why you picked it.



Comprehension:



1. Find three examples that show what kind of father Bobby is to Feather.
2. What do you think is the most difficult thing for Bobby? Why? (Answer this question after a few chapters, answer it again at the end of the novel and see if the answer changes)



Application:



1. Predict what happens to this family ten years into the future. Explain why.
2. Write ten questions you would ask Bobby, Mary, and Nia if you could.



Analyze:



1. On page 35 Bobby says, “ … which pisses her off and makes her scream, and then I look around my room and miss me.” Explain what he means.
2. Angela Johnson tells the story in a non-linear fashion. Why, do you think, she chose this literary device to reveal the story?







Synthesize:



1. How would you cope under the extraordinary circumstances that Bobby finds himself?
2. Would you make the same choices?



Evaluation:

1. If Bobby had Nia’s help raising Feather would he be a different father? What makes you think so?
2. Do you agree with Mary and Fred’s approach to grandparenthood? Why or why not?





Multiple Intelligence Projects for

The First Part Last by Angela Johnson



Verbal/ Linguistic



Write at least five letters to Nia explaining what is happening with both Bobby and Feather. Be specific!



or



Study the spare, lyrical writing of Angela Johnson and try to write one scene of a story with a similar quality and the same economy of words.



Logical/ Mathematical:



Find the most recent statistics that you can about teen pregnancy in America. Create at least one graph explaining the results you discovered.



Visual/ Spatial:



Create a piece of art that you feel represents Bobby’s emotions throughout the novel. Think about form, color and line as you create your work. Explain your art in a brief, but illuminating paragraph.



Body/Kinesthetic



In small groups, act out scenes from the novel.



Or-



Write the dialogue and act out the scenes that are left off camera (like what Nia says when she meets Bobby with a balloon on his birthday).





Musical/ Rhythmic



Either create an original piece of music yourself to accompany the story or, find at least three songs that you think belong on the soundtrack of the movie version of this book. Explain why you chose these songs (and include a copy of the lyrics) in a brief journal.



Interpersonal:



Cooperative Learning Project:



In groups of no more than three explore and research one aspect of teen pregnancy (or choose one of your own):



How sex education affects pregnancy rates

Social implications of teen pregnancy on communities

Long-term effects for the mother (and/or father) for future success

Long term success for the infant in health and education

The availability of birth control and other services on pregnancy rates

Which children are most at risk for teen pregnancy

Adoption

Foster care system

Teen shelters

Outstanding programs for young mothers and fathers

Abstinence programs







Then, create a website (or pamphlet) sharing your compilation of facts with the public. Invite the public +/or other teens in a discussion via a message board about it.





Intrapersonal:



Write a letter to yourself about where you want to be in ten years. Reflect on how your goals would be compromised if you were forced to turn your attention to another human being. Assume that your responsibilities would be maximized similar to Bobby’s and that adults would let you assume the brunt of your own mistake.

Refer to the letter as needed.

14 comments:

  1. 1.) bobby's mother slapped him and his father cried

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby’s parents were, as a whole, disappointed, but Mary, Bobby’s mother, was very angry with him. Nia’s parents, specifically Nia’s mother, were very angry, and even though they didn’t yell at him or her, Bobby knew that they were angry. “I can’t tell you how upset my parents are, and the way my dad cried, and the way my mom wanted to slap me so hard she bit her lip till it bled down her chin.” (Page 21) I used this quote because it demonstrates the anger that Bobby’s parents feel toward him for getting Nia pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1)bobby's mom wanted to slap him and his dad cried. my parents would kill me!
    2) "no doubt in my mind that im not keeping her " this means he's taking responsibility

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Booby's parent's were not very happy. They thought that they had taught him well. His mother was very angry and his father just burst into tears. Nia's parents reacted differently. They seemed calm while talking about it while inside they weren't that happy about it. They didn't show their true feelings.
    2. Bobby says, "Everything is different if there ain't no love." (pg. 10) I chose this quote because it shows that he is very loving and it shows what he has gone through. It shows his experiences which shows a persons true colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) His parents were very upset and his mother even slapped him in the face. My mother would be very upset with me, I don't know if she'd slap me, but she would most definitely be super upset with me.

    2)"But then I realize. I've done it.... I know that she needs me. I know what she does when she just needs me."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowledge:
    1) Bobby's parents react to the pregnancy by sitting in stone silence, and his pops begins to cry. Nia's parents act cool and calm, but were actually pissed. If I got pregnant, my parents would get really, really mad. There would probably be lots of shouting, and I would be grounded basically for life.
    2) A quote that shows Bobby's character is "...then [he] walked home and held Feather for the rest of the night, wondering if I would be a man, a good man." I picked this one because it shows that he wants to be a good man, for Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Bobby's parents were very upset at this news. His father began to cry and his mother desperately wanted to slap him. My parents would freak out if I got pregnant at that age. They would be extremely worried, scared, and upset with me.
    2. "No doubt in my mind that I'm keeping her." (page 11)
    This quote shows a lot about Bobby's character because it shows that he is a very caring man and will not give up on his life because of his baby. He is brave and realizes that he cannot take an easy way out of this, so he will do his best to make his baby's life the best that it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Bobby's parents were mad. His father was speechless and cried. His mom was mad and wanted to slap him but didn't.
    2) If my parents found out that I was pregnant they would probably be really really really really really mad, But then would help me,
    3)" It made me cry like I hadn't since I was a little kid." He was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) The couple’s parents react as normal as one would expect it. “… my pops just starts to cry.” (page 13) It can be inferred from this text that his father is crying tears of sadness at the news. “… the way my mom wanted to slap me so hard she bit her lip till it bled down her chin.” (line 21) This sentence illustrates rage that was in Mary when she heard the news. “It’s like nothing that is about to be said or happen has that much to do with him.” (line 20) According to this sentence it can be inferred that Mr. Wilkins wants nothing to do with the situation and chooses to hide in ignorance. While Mrs. Wilkins, “… the smile hasn’t left Nia’s mom’s face… she only does that when she’s pissed and can’t deal.” (line 21) is almost the same with Mary as she was enraged, however, she couldn’t take the news. If I were to be in a situation similar to that, my mother would probably be disappointed in me, and tell me to live my life on my own terms. I would hope she would help me take care of myself like Mary did with Bobby.
    2) “I used to laugh at this old dude, “Just Frank” from the corner… Two days after I brought Feather home, Just Frank got killed trying to save a girl… wondering if I would be a man, a good man.” (lines 7-8) Bobby’s character, at first, was someone who didn’t realize the good in people despite their ways of living. However, he learns from his mistakes and questions himself as a person when he wonders about his character himself.

    ReplyDelete

Montana 1948 Readings/Natalie Goldberg Test 1 "I remember"

  Montana 1948 Readings/Natalie Goldberg Test 1 "I remember" Marcy Gamzon • Sep 21 (Edited Sep 21) 100 points Due Tomorrow AGENDA:...