Thursday, March 15, 2018

Short Stories Due/ Memoir

AGENDA:

HMWK: Read to Book Two.  Quiz on MONDAY!

Magical Realism Short Stories DUE TODAY!

Begin working on your MEMOIR:

Writing Memoir:

https://thewritepractice.com/19-tips-on-writing-memoir-from-the-memoir-project-by-marion-roach-smith/

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-memoir-1691376 

http://www.barbaradoyen.com/writing-nonfiction/what-is-a-memoir-what-makes-a-memoir-different-from-an-autobiography-or-biography 

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/write-good-memoir-advice-finding-voice
http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-genre/memoir-by-writing-genre

https://thewritelife.com/the-beginners-guide-to-planning-and-writing-a-memoir/

https://blog.udemy.com/how-to-write-a-memoir/

Memoir writing techniques
A memoir is written in first person from the author’s point of view.
It is narrative nonfiction written in story form like fiction. Dialogue can be included, but since few people can remember precisely every word spoken, the dialogue is not literally true; instead the author attempts to recreate it as accurately as possible. For this reason, some memoirs, like Wild Swans, tell the story without dialogue.
The memoir author should “think small” and make a series of “reducing decisions,” says William Zinsser, author of the perennially popular book, On Writing Well, which includes a new chapter about writing memoirs in the latest edition.









WRITING:

Select 5 topics and post a comment on the blog. 









Behold! These memoir prompts have consistently ranked as the most viewed post on Word Bank Writing & Editing, and I wanted to bring feature them again for those who may have missed out the first time around. I’m currently booked with editing projects through the end of the year, so contact me now if you need to reserve a spot for 2016. Most importantly, know thyself. All good writers should follow that advice. Based on my creative nonfiction post, Confessions of a Motley Crue Fool, I hope it’s now apparent just how seriously I take my own suggestions. 

The following questions function as memoir prompts that can serve many purposes, such as an idea for a last minute blog post. They will take you through a year’s worth of memoir writing if you do one a week. Or perhaps you would rather pick and choose the ones you find most appealing. At the very least, they can be used to fight writer’s block. Remember that writing about something is better than staring blankly and writing about nothing at all.

Image of red question marks.


Make each one as long or as short as you see fit. However, limiting yourself to 300-500 words would be a great exercise in conciseness. Focus on appealing to all five senses. As always, aim to show rather than tell.


#1: Was there anything unusual or unique about your birth?

#2: What is your earliest memory?

#3: What is your first memory about your siblings, parents, pets, toys, or house?

#4: What is your happiest childhood memory? Your saddest?

#5: How have childhood favorites impacted you? (toys, cartoons, books, etc.)

#6: Were your parents good parents?

#7: What event in your childhood had the most impact on your life as an adult?

#8: What is your first memory about school?

#9: Was learning to read and write a struggle for you?

#10: Who was your favorite teacher?

#11: What was your favorite subject in school?

#12: Did you participate in any extra-curricular activities?

#13: What clique did you belong to?

#14: What do you wish you would have learned more about in school?

#15: What schoolmate had the most impact on your life? In what way?

#16: Who was your first best friend? How did they influence your life?

#17: What did you learn about yourself in high school?

#18: What was the first moment you felt truly grown up or independent?

#19: How old were you when you began to drive?

#20: Who gave you your first kiss?

#21: Who was your first love?

#22: What is your best memory as a teenager with your friends?

#23: What was the best party you went to when you were a teenager?

#24: What was your first job?

#25: How much was your first paycheck and what did you do with it?

#26: What moment in your life have you felt most loved?

#27: Which one of your parents are you most like?

#28: Was graduating from high school a big event?

#29: Has education played an important role in your life?

#30: What have you done that you never thought you would do?

#31: What was the greatest challenge of your life so far?

#32: What do you wish you had done differently in your life?

#33: Who do you wish you could see again?

#34: Who was the lost love of your life?

#35: What word would you most like people to associate with you?

#36: Who was the biggest influence (positive or negative) on your life?

#37: How were your belief systems formed? (religion, politics, family, etc.)

#38: What is great about your life right now?

#39: What could be better about your life?

#40: To what degree has technology shaped your life in the past 10 years?

#41: When is the last time you learned to do something new?

#42: Does your career make you happy?

#43: How is your family unique?

#44: Is your significant other your best friend?

#45: What do your pet peeves reveal about you?

#46: What do your tastes reveal about you? (food, music, clothes, books, etc.)

#47: How many life goals have you attained?

#48: What regrets do you have?

#49: What do you think the future holds for you?

#50: Do you spend more time planning for the future or living in the moment?

#51: What will your retirement be like?

#52: What will your obituary say about you?

Other prompts will come to you as you draft, so why not write them down in your writer’s notebook? You never know when it might come in handy.

What do you like and dislike about reading and/or writing memoirs? What memoir prompts would you add to the list?


20 comments:

  1. * A regret I have is listening to people who don't even talk about something real.
    *I think my future is actually pretty good I won't have to rely on anyone but myself.
    *I think I spend more time planning for the future because everything I do now effects my future.
    * My family is unique because we don't really have a tradition that has actually stuck or not been changed.
    * My biggest influence would be my aunt because I have seen her handle herself really well in the worst situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #8: What is your first memory about school? My first memory was in preschool. I was nervous and did not want to go to school. My dad egged me on and told me to make friends. I walked up to a boy and this is the conversation, exactly. “Hi, I’m Valerie.” “Hi, I’m Keegan. Do you want to be be my friend?” We were friends for several years after that.

    #30: What have you done that you never thought you would do? I’m a stickler for the rules, but my friends convinced me to go down this dangerous slope on Talia’s birthday and wander around the trade tracks. We caught people smoking weed and struggled for our lives to get back up the hill (much to my complaint).

    #37: How were your belief systems formed? (religion, politics, family, etc.) Through religious opposition, fights, and deep hatred. And shaking hands.

    #44: Is your significant other your best friend? You could say so.

    #9: Was learning to read and write a struggle for you? My mother may do nothing, but she did teach me to be a great reader. I could memorize my favorite board book when I was four. Loser, ikr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horaylis Michelle De Leon

    #8: What is your first memory about school?
    A pushed a kid over our school railing down a hill/mountain because he kicked my ball over the edge.

    #10: Who was your favorite teacher?
    Mr.Bianchi from school 50. He was great and shall always be the best.

    #33: Who do you wish you could see again?
    My uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2- earliest memory: feeling uncomfortable when everyone was watching me blow out my birthday candles. I was around 5 or 6.
    16- What did you learn about yourself in HS?: I don't have a lot of patience but if I work hard I can achieve a lot.
    18- When I had to take a real city bus by myself.
    36-My Uncle Jack: He taught me that there is so much more to life than what you're doing right now.
    43- How is your family unique: I am mixed. My mom is white and Puerto Rican, my dad is black. Me and my sisters have different dads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #29: Has education played an important role in your life?no
    #39: What could be better about your life?Grades
    #50: Do you spend more time planning for the future or living in the moment?Living in the moment
    #51: What will your retirement be like?relaxing
    #49: What do you think the future holds for you?Good things






    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #9: Was learning to read and write a struggle for you?
    Learning to read and write wasn’t that hard.

    #6: Were your parents good parents?
    My parents have always been good parents and still are.

    #11: What was your favorite subject in school?
    My favorite subject is English.

    #17: What did you learn about yourself in high school?
    I learned that everyone is not your friend.

    #50: Do you spend more time planning for the future or living in the moment?
    I spend most of my time planning my future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #8. I remember waking in school and everybody calling me the new girl it was so annoying.
    #10. Ms. White I loved her so much she will forever be my favorite teacher.
    #11. Math because it was so easy.
    #17. I learned alot. Honestly in high school is when I became independent and I had to do thing on my own and I learned many things about myself.
    #44. My significant other my best friend is this boy name Jose he don't go to sota.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who was your favorite teacher?

    What have you done that you never thought you would do?

    Who do you wish you could see again?

    What regrets do you have?

    What moment in your life have you felt most loved?

    What moment in your life have you felt most loved?

    Who was your first best friend? How did they influence your life?

    Are your parents good parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What have you done that you never thought you would do? Audition for SOTA

      Who do you wish you could see again? My Great-Grandmother


      Who was your first best friend? How did they influence your life? Steven Lepki

      Are your parents good parents? Yes

      Delete
  10. What is your first memory about school?

    -I remember faking an asthma attack so I didn't have to take a nap.

    What do you wish you would have learned more about in school?
    -I wish I learned my multiplication tables faster than I did.

    What clique did you belong to?
    -I always had a pretty well rounded personality so I fit in with multiple groups

    What is your earliest memory?

    Sitting in my crib in the dark and listening to classical music

    Who was your first best friend? How did they influence your life?
    -My best friend was Vince ever since the 4th grade and he was just himself, pretty cool kid and he fit in and he helped me find ny clique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #31: What was the greatest challenge of your life so far?
    the greatest challenge of my life so far has been staying in my own lane, doing what I think is the best thing for me. It can be hard at times, growing up in a generation where most kids are all on the same wave and do this or that and I'm doing my own thing because that brings a lot of hate and jealousy towards me.
    #32: What do you wish you had done differently in your life?
    Not befriended some of the people I did, not said some of the things I said and not did some either.
    #33: Who do you wish you could see again?
    My brother.
    #48: What regrets do you have?
    I don't really try to regret things in my life because I feel like everything happens for a reason and it's either a lesson or a blessing in the end.
    #49: What do you think the future holds for you?
    The future holds good vibes, new opportunities, a better me, and a clear state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jonaya Wright

    What was your first job?
    My first job was a babysitting job.

    Who was your favorite teacher?
    My all time favorite teacher was my elementary teacher. His name was Mr.M and he was my 2nd and 3rd grade teacher.

    What is great about your life right now?
    I finally almost cleared for my concussion, which is taking an awful long time but I am also there.

    What regrets do you have?
    Not being in my grandma who passed away live like I should have been.

    What moment in your life have you felt most loved?
    My 14th birthday were everyone came to praise me






    ReplyDelete
  13. #18: What was the first moment you felt truly grown up or independent?

    #2: What is your earliest memory?

    #11: What was your favorite subject in school?

    #12: Did you participate in any extra-curricular activities?

    #16: Who was your first best friend? How did they influence your life?

    ReplyDelete
  14. #1: Was there anything unusual or unique about your birth?

    The unusual thing about my birth is the fact that my aunt wrote my name on my birth certificate and on it she spelled my name wrong. Which is why my name is spelled “A’layze” instead of “A’layza” on my records.

    #2: What is your earliest memory?

    My earliest memory has to be my very first day of school.

    #3: What is your first memory about your siblings, parents, pets, toys, or house?

    My first memory about my siblings has to be the day that they were born. I got to hold each of my siblings the day after their birth.


    #12: Did you participate in any extra-curricular activities?

    No

    #50: Do you spend more time planning for the future or living in the moment?

    I definitely spend too much time planning.



    ReplyDelete
  15. #10: Who was your favorite teacher?
    #30: What have you done that you never thought you would do?
    #17: What did you learn about yourself in high school?
    #9: Was learning to read and write a struggle for you?
    #33: Who do you wish you could see again?

    ReplyDelete
  16. #22: What is your best memory as a teenager with your friends?

    #33: Who do you wish you could see again?

    #5: How have childhood favorites impacted you? (toys, cartoons, books, etc.)

    #2: What is your earliest memory?

    #21: Who was your first love?

    ReplyDelete
  17. #49 what do you think the future holds for you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. what do you think the future holds you?
    i think the future holds money and happiness for me
    who do you wish you can see again?
    i wish i could see my grand dad
    what regrets do you have?
    what do you wish you can do better in your life?
    chose the right school and the right path in life
    what have you done that you never thought you would do?
    a lot of things

    ReplyDelete

Montana 1948 Readings/Natalie Goldberg Test 1 "I remember"

  Montana 1948 Readings/Natalie Goldberg Test 1 "I remember" Marcy Gamzon • Sep 21 (Edited Sep 21) 100 points Due Tomorrow AGENDA:...