Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Rattlebone Vocabulary

AGENDA:

Vocabulary.com has Rattlebone vocabulary practice!


Lay or Lie?

Lay means "to place something down." It is something you do to something else.

Incorrect: Lie the book on the table.
Correct: Lay the book on the table.
(It is being done to something else.)

Lie means "to recline" or "be placed." It does not act on anything or anyone else.
Incorrect: Lay down on the couch.
Correct: Lie down on the couch.
(It is not being done to anything else.)

The reason lay and lie are confusing is their past tenses.

The past tense of lay is laid.

The past tense of lie is lay.

Incorrect: I lay it down here yesterday.
Correct: I laid it down here yesterday.
(It is being done to something else.)

Incorrect: Last night I laid awake in bed.
Correct: Last night I lay awake in bed.
(It is not being done to anything else.)
Your Assignment: Write two sentences for "lay" and two sentences for "lie" using each word correctly. There should be a total of four sentences.

We will be finished with the book this week. Here's the rest of the vocabulary. We will be having a short quiz on the vocab FRIDAY

Rattlebone Vocabulary

Happenstance (pg. 6): A chance happening or event


Capricious (pg. 13): Erratic or obsolete

Corporal-punishment (pg. 17): Physical punishment, inflicted on the body of one convicted of a crime: formerly included the death penalty

Cicadas (pg.27): A large insect, similar to the grasshopper


Unfettered (pg. 43): Liberated, set free


Bristled (pg. 45): To react in an angry or offended manner

Mouton (pg. 56): Sheepskin

Putrid (pg. 56): Rotten, foul smelli

Chiffarobe
 (pg. 101): a piece of furniture that serves as a closet, similar to a armoir

Ptomaine
 (pg. 107): Food poisonin

Obeah 
(pg. 144): A form of religious belief of African origin, practiced in some parts of the West Indies, Jamaica, and nearby tropical America, involving sorcery

Amulet 
(pg. 158): An object worn, especially around the neck, as a charm against evil or injury

Sonorous
 (pg. 159): Having or producing sound, a full, deep, rich sound, Impressive in style of speech

Stateliness
 (pg. 194): Dignified and impressive, as in size or proportion

Vitiligo
 (pg. 209): an acquired skin disease characterized by patches of unpigmented skin

HMWK:  Read next 2 chapters in Rattlebone, work on study guide  
The Great War and Secret Love

15 comments:

  1. I am going to lie down on the couch.
    The dog use to lay on the bed before he died.
    I laid the spoon on the plate.
    The butler will lay the clothes on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna lie down in bed.
    Mom is going to lie down on the couch.
    I'm gonna lay my bookbag on the table.
    I laid the money on the counter two days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lay my little sister on the couch.

    I Laid down on the couch with her yesterday.

    I lay awake next to her.

    I awoke to her still laid on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lay the pencil on the table. I lie down on the bed. I laid the the pencil on the table yesterday. last night I lay awake on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watson, the family dog, wanted to lie on the couch, but Mother’s watchful stern eyes told him no from across the room.
    Dannie wanted to lay the sleeping Kyle on the couch so they could rest.
    I will not lay here and die.
    Just lay the gun onto the counter, Layla.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lie down on the couch after a long game.
    We lay together on the bed.
    I laid my puppy down after putting them to sleep.
    I lay the broken mirror down gently on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lay the box down on the floor.
    I lie down on the bed.
    I lie the kittens on the blanket.
    Mother lays down the grocery bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lay the phone of my bed so I can see the movie.
    I laid the orange down on the table and watched it roll away.
    I lie on the bed as I watch my favorite movie.
    I lay awake at night dreading the return to school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lay the blanket on the floor.
    I laid the blanket on the floor.
    Lie down on the blanket.
    I lied down on the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lay the folder on the table.
    We lay together on the bed.
    I lie down on my bed after a long day.
    I laid in bed at night.

    ReplyDelete

Montana 1948 Readings/Natalie Goldberg Test 1 "I remember"

  Montana 1948 Readings/Natalie Goldberg Test 1 "I remember" Marcy Gamzon • Sep 21 (Edited Sep 21) 100 points Due Tomorrow AGENDA:...